Lip Service

This concept has undergone a lot of transformation from when I first started thinking about it. Two times before shooting, once when shoo...

This concept has undergone a lot of transformation from when I first started thinking about it. Two times before shooting, once when shooting, and even now as I write. I hope that by the end of this post, I will be able to adequately communicate my thinking behind the concept, and what the photographs mean to me. If there is anything my most recent project taught me, it is that I need to know what I want to express here before I come rolling in from the bushes. But anyway, here it goes...

From thinking about different color schemes to matching the sitter's makeup with manila backgrounds, to finally settling on using the Kenyan flag as the main theme. By the way, this is the third time I have used it, and this concept marks the beginning of my fourth year as a photographer. Still growing and moving forward with the goal of serving better content on a regular basis, and extremely thankful to everyone involved. We also used some balloons as props to add some interest to this shoot. 🎈🎈😎
As a concept, "Lip Service" aims to give the photographer and the sitter a common ground where they can share their love for their country, Kenya. The clothing, props, and shoot location all worked together to capture a unique blend of beauty, strife, and happiness. Our society is tarnished by so many stories that leave us asking ourselves how and when did it all go wrong. Every day, we wake up to different scandals that are often swept under the rug. Then, what we are fed by societal heads leaves us in an even more disheartening situation. All we get is lip service.
However, as Kenyans, we manage to wake up the next day, make a few memes, and move on to the next one. Call it resilience, disregard, forgetfulness, or whatever you want...we still manage to get up and push on hoping to build a brighter future for ourselves and our families. No one can take this away from us. Our happiness lies within us.

Shot with the stunning Pauline Waithira at the Made In Kenya Store.



















  

See you next time my resilient friends 😂 Happy viewing!!

P.S. For more information about this shoot, drop me a line here or use some smoke signals.

You Might Also Like

0 comments